Saturday, June 18, 2011

New Friends and Goodbyes

It's been a while since I last posted, but it's honestly been a relatively mundane month.  One of the highlights though was having JB's co-workers on the boat for a "goodbye" celebration!  It was the first time we officially entertained a rather large group of people, and I think it went great.  We had such a great time eating, toasting, and sharing stories.  Everyone was very gracious with their complements of the boat, presents, toasts, and well wishes.  JB really has a great group of work folks he'll be leaving.  We had 10 people on the boat, and were shockingly comfortable!

A couple days after the party, I had my knee surgery.  JB was great!  He took great care of me and made sure the nurses didn't neglect me.;)  I was unfortunately not "boat ready" right after surgery, but have an amazing group of friends here in Miami.  Kristie & Todd let me dog sit Jetta for them and stay at their place for a week, then Tammy and Glen let me cat sit for another 5 days.  Stable land was the perfect thing to help me recuperate quickly.

Lastly, we've made some new friends 2 boats down from us.  Jan and Mike are awesome!  They just got back from sailing the Caribbean and have lots of stories and advice for us.  As newbies, we are soaking it all up and learning a ton about what we need to be successful on our journey.

We're replacing all our rigging (steel lines that hold up our mast), and getting updated electrical.  We finally got our refrigerator, but it still needs to be installed.  SO CLOSE!  I'm craving yogurt!

I hate to put another date out there, because we are always so far behind, but we're hoping to leave Miami by July 10th.  Everyone needs to send positive thoughts our way, so we can finally hit the water and enjoy ourselves!


2 comments:

  1. Yogurt??? You should have told me...Maya would have shared. You guys are doing great. I'll cross my fingers for you for July 10th (though, we'll miss you....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your preparations! If you're feeling adventurous after circling the Caribbean, sail on up to Massachusetts for a visit!

    ReplyDelete