So, we've bought a wonderful 37ft catamaran built by a British company (Prout) in 1983. It's got a great history, is blue water capable (can go offshore for days), and has room for everyone (JB, Mac, and me). The only problem is that it's previous owners were primarily day sailers to the bahamas and didn't outfit the boat for true live-aboard status. Imagine horror movie music and shrieks for the next part of our story.;)
We are into week 3 of boat living at Rickenbacker Marina in Key Biscayne FL and have a dockslip next to some pretty intimidating powerboats and yachts. As many of you have witnessed the wonder that is JB's lists of "things to do", you can imagine how overwhelming the list for the boat has become.;) Our priorities have been to get air conditioning and refrigeration, but we also knew that we needed storage space for food and essentials during our stints away from shore. I luckily have a fantastically handy dad, that we decided to invite down for a visit. He whipped up some amazing cabinets for our pantry and head (aka bathroom), and gave us a screen door!
I'm fairly certain we got the better end of the deal, because when we tried to treat him to a day of sailing, we got caught in a storm, wrapped our motor around a line, and couldn't work our anchor...Dad took it all in stride, which is more than I can say JB and I were capable of doing at the time. JB chalks it up to a learning experience, and I'm guessing that's the first of many!
Thanks dad for all your help...hope we didn't scare you off with all the intense decision making!;)
On a final note, our itinerary has continued to be modified. As any good boat owner has told us, "don't plan too far ahead...things come up." Well, they sure do! We're hoping for the end of May as our weather watching window. When we have a more definitive itinerary, I'll post it! We'll also (hopefully) have this cool thing called "Spot" which allows folks to track us on google maps or spotwalla. I'll update as I can, and post pics soon!
Awesome! Your dad just "whipped up" those cabinets? Pretty impressive!
ReplyDelete